Unit 4 - Acrylic Composition #2 - Alternative Mediums
Summative Acrylic Composition
For this project, you are to choose a subject matter for your composition. Here are some options to choose from if you get stuck for ideas:
- Take a "selfie" or have someone take a photo of your portrait. Crop the image in an interesting way, or get expressive with the portrait. Make a face or tweak it using a computer program. Paint the portrait by using a different technique for the different parts of the composition (head, hair, clothes, background, etc). To draw the portrait, Manders will show you a grid method of transfer contour drawing.
- Choose an artist to research: Frida Kahlo, Andy Warhol, Paul Gauguin, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Chuck Close
- Use this theme generator:
- Try to choose the first theme that is generated. Choose an object or series of objects that would best represent that theme. Be sure to paint from life or a photo. Set up your composition in an aesthetic way. First make thumbnail sketches of your plan in your sketchbook and check with Manders.
- Choose an artist to research: Janet Fish, Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte, Francis Bacon, Jacob Lawrence, Kehinde Wiley,
- Take a photo of the somewhere in the school while using a triangular compositional layout. Use this photo as your subject matter and theme to draw from. Use a minimum of 8 acrylic techniques (from the 18 we practiced in class) to best capture the photo.
- Choose an artist to research: Raphael, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Leonardo Da Vinci, MC Escher, Edvard Munch,
- Find a photo of your choice. Paint it only using an impasto technique with a palette knife.
- Choose an artist to research: Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet, Jane Frank, Cordelia Wilson, Jackson Polluck, Lucian Freud
- Paint from life: Acquire an object or series of objects to be painted as a still life. Follow the same steps for layering as the orange painting.
- Choose an artist to research: Paul Cezanne, Vincent Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Henri Rousseau,
Before You Begin
You must research an artist who uses the same technique or methods of painting. Criteria to include:
- Picture of an example from the artist.
- 4 step analysis of artists work
- Short biography of the artist
- You can choose to submit this via ThingLink, Glogster, Google Docs Presentation, Prezi, or Schoology. Or, you can submit your work the old school way by printing it if you do not have an ipad.