Unit 2 - Plein Air Charcoal Drawing
En plein air (French pronunciation: French for outdoors, or plein air painting) is the act of drawing and painting outdoors. This method contrasts with studio drawing and painting, or academic rules that might create a predetermined look.
- Go out into the world; ie. nature, public space, the wilderness, your neighborhood, the park, the zoo, museum, etc...
- With a piece of vine charcoal, sketch out the main information you are viewing through your "Plein Air" lens.
- Seek out and render the shadows with the charcoal stick.
- Blend mid tone ranges with black and grey toned charcoal.
- Add white chalk to blend in highlights.
- Use a blending stump for smooth transitions between values.