Unit 5 - Monumental Collaborative Art
For this artist challenge, you and a partner will work together to create a monumental drawing.
- Theme: "Look Around You!" Observe your surroundings here at school. Your drawing should be a representation of your observations while at school; passing in the halls, in your "quite" place, being active, etc.
- Materials: Your team must include some kind of recycled / reusable material (ex. wood, old skateboard, pop cans, wire, etc.). What materials / tools will you draw with to best communicate your message?
- Creativity: Think outside the box with what drawing and design can look like. Do you always have to draw within the borders of a rectangular composition? Can drawing be 3D?
- Quality & Craftspersonship: The work must be cleanly presented and well displayed. Work must look unified and finished (resolved).
- Investigation & Plan: Your team must research contemporary drawings within a gallery or community setting.and find out how artists have used recycled materials for drawings.
Still Having Trouble with Ideas?
- Create a simple contour drawing of something pertaining to the theme. Project your drawing onto your large canvas paper and trace out the projection or grid out your smaller drawing onto your larger canvas. Create a mosaic-like gridded composition using cut-square aluminum from pop cans. Look at Jeff Ivanhoe's work.
- Create a series of small drawings to visually work together as a whole.